The guidance below outlines the DPS plans (as of 7/28/21) for the 2021-22 school year.
Please note that this guidance is subject to change and we will continue to update you as changes or additional information is available. For more information please visit:
https://www.dpsk12.org/coronavirus/covid-19-dashboard/ and/or Beacon Website.
- Can parents and visitors come into the school building? For the beginning of the school year, visitors and families will not be allowed past the front desk unless absolutely necessary. Drop-off and pick-up of students should occur outside of the building.
- Are students and staff required to wear masks? It is required for both students and staff to wear masks in the classroom, unless taking drink or outdoors. Staff
- How are students allowed to move around the school building and grounds? Schools do not need to implement staggered entry and exit protocols. Schools do not need to implement staggered passing periods. We will return to normal hallway/staircase use; one-way traffic patterns are not necessary. Schools can use bathrooms at full capacity. Secondary schools will not need to implement cohorts or altered schedules for the 2021-22 school year.
- What are the quarantine protocols? Schools must continue to follow quarantine protocols as outlined by CDPHE. Schools should be mindful of how many students are close contacts of each other and with unvaccinated staff. Vaccinated staff can be close contacts with a greater number of students.
- Can my child work from home, if they are quarantining? All lessons are online and your child can still work from home so they do not fall behind. Please note, that if they are not feeling well, they can make it up at a later date.
- Are students allowed to eat lunch in the cafeteria? Secondary schools can resume normal lunch operations, including using lunch rooms and cafeterias at full capacity. Students will practice good hand hygiene.
- Will the school still provide enrichments and other activities? Yes, students will still participate in their enrichment they selected.
- Will large events and celebrations be allowed? For the beginning of the school year, student registration and Back-to-School Nights will be held virtually and/or outdoors. More information will be forthcoming on the website. All school events will be such as performances that can be held outdoors.
- Will Field Trips be allowed? Day-Time and Overnight field trips can resume. Students and staff must follow all health and safety protocols for the designated field trip and destination (i.e. additional health and safety protocols may be mandated by the destination). Students must also complete all required waivers and permission slips.
- What if someone at a Beacon School is diagnosed with COVID-19? What if I believe my student or self has been exposed to COVID-19? We will make you aware of potential exposure if a student or staff member has been diagnosed with COVID-19. If you have any concerns about your health, we encourage you to contact the Denver Health School Based Health Center at 303-602-8958 (or your primary care provider) for further evaluation and possible testing.
What if my child is sick and/or exhibiting symptoms? Please refer to When to Keep Sick Children Home (English) guidelines. We also ask that you contact the school so we can update their school records.